I feel as though my first entry on this blog should be something extravagent and amazing. My colleague, Dan R, tells me that my fatal flaw is that I often try too hard to be different, but I think that if I try too hard to be different then I will never get this first posting out of the way.
So, I'd just like to point out that after 6 starts this year, Josh Beckett's ERA is more than 2 full points lower than it was at this point last year, he has 12 more strikeouts in less than 3 more innings, and he's walked 7 less guys. Looking at this as a supplement to what I can see with my eyes (primarily what looks right now to be a devastating changeup), I think it's fair to say that Josh Beckett has turned a corner. Knock on wood.
I also think Coco Crisp is hitting the shit out of the ball right now and is playing much, much better in center than he did last year. People tend to forget that he spent much of his Cleveland years, including virtually all of his career year in '05, in left. I don't think it's out of the question that he could still be a very good defensive centerfielder, he just needed to get used to it. Having said that, Coco's skillset really makes me think he's a sell high kind of guy, especially with Pena on the bench and Ellsbury probably ready to be playing in the Majors by next spring at the latest. But good for Coco. He's at least shut me up for the time being.
Spiderman 3 comes out tonight. That doesn't have anything to do with baseball, or any other sport. But it will rule.